C&N Bankers Teach Children to SavePosted Monday, 27 April 2015 21:04 | Filed under C&N News
WELLSBORO, PA – Citizens & Northern bankers from throughout C&N’s eight-county market area participated in the annual Teach Children to Save initiative sponsored by the American Bankers Association Education Foundation.
Classroom presentations and bank visits were held throughout the month of April, with nearly 1,400 students in 23 local schools and organizations participating. Teach Children to Save (TCTS) is a national campaign that raises awareness about the role that banks and bankers play in helping young people develop lifelong savings habits. Established by the American Bankers Association in 1997, Teach Children to Save has reached more than 5.6 million young people through the commitment of more than 121,000 banker volunteers. TCTS lessons couple reality with learning, incorporating hands-on scenarios and real life experiences. Lessons are available for all ages, from elementary to high school.
C&N bankers offer the following tips for money-savvy parents raising money-smart kids:
· Set the example of a responsible money manager by paying bills on time, being a conscientious spender and an active saver. Children tend to emulate their parents' personal finance habits.
· Talk openly about money with your kids. Communicate your values and experiences with money. Encourage them to ask you questions, and be prepared to answer them – even the tough ones.
· Explain the difference between needs and wants, the value of saving and budgeting and the consequences of not doing so.
· Open a savings account for your children and take them with you to make deposits, so they can learn how to be hands-on in their money management.
· Let friends and family know about your child’s savings goal. They’ll be more likely to give cash for special occasions, which means more trips to the bank.
Engage your community. Many schools, banks and community organizations share your commitment to creating a money-savvy generation. Engage a coalition of support to provide youth with the education they need to succeed.
Area elementary students were often treated to visits by Sammy Saver, Citizens & Northern’s mascot and “spokesbug” for the Ju$t For Kid$ savings club. C&N bankers provided lessons for students in all 26 C&N office areas.
Citizens & Northern Bank is a local, independent community bank providing complete financial, investment and insurance services through 26 full service offices throughout Cameron, Potter, McKean, Tioga, Bradford, Sullivan and Lycoming counties in Pennsylvania and in Canisteo and Hornell, NY in Steuben County. C&N can be found on the worldwide web at www.cnbankpa.com. The Company’s stock is listed on NASDAQ Capital Market Securities under the symbol CZNC.
C&N bankers from the Canisteo office visited the Canisteo Christian Nursery School to teach children there the importance of saving now for the future tomorrow. The children were also treated to a visit from Sammy Saver, C&N’s mascot and Ju$t For Kid$ spokesbug.